Monday, May 2, 2011

Retreats so Sweet!

Last fall I was invited to my friend's house for our annual writing retreat. But I couldn't go. So, we planned to get together in the spring and this weekend was finally our chance to re-connect!
She lives almost 6 hours away in the country, on the water, outside a beautiful little New England village. The setting is perfect for connecting with nature, and really regrouping after a long snow-filled winter. The only thing she didn't tell me, is that the foot bridge is out.

Normally, it looks like this..........


But, instead we had to cross like this........(and we had to carry luggage and food across too!)


That is our cabin the back ground, I was crossing to get back to the car. The logs would shake up and down as I stepped. I said I would wade through the water, rather than fall in the muddy water.. But, my John (my husband) and Robin (writer friend) said I could do it.
I am not an adrenaline junky by any stretch. I am not a fan of heights or falling into rivers!
but, they kept me going, and 
I looked up, and step by step I made it across!

I think I crossed over these tree logs 6 times during the weekend. 
Each time a tiny bit braver. 
I was a little less terrified. 
I stopped thinking about falling in the muddy river.
I stopped thinking about what I didn't want to do.
I stopped doubting.
I just kept moving.
and
finally, on the last rip across, I looked up!
Nothing about the logs changed from the first walk to the last.
Nothing about the logs changed.
I wanted them to change.
I wanted the logs to be a bridge.
But they stayed logs.
so
I changed.
I looked up
and 
I thought about where I was going.
I thought about the other side,
the destination.
I can't say I was ever thrilled to face those logs.
But in the end, I have to admit, it felt good to do something I didn't think I could.


2 comments:

  1. I had to walk across a low dam in a state park. The water was two inches below the dam. On our way back, of course, you had to go over it again. This time, there were alligators on both sides. No kidding! We had to walk it anyway, because there was not other way. It's a good story now.

    Love your idea of a retreat with a friend. I think I'm inspired. I need to try something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALLIGATORS!!!!oh that would have been a deal breaker!

    You are very brave! And I highly recommend going on a retreat with a friend, it really gives creativity a boost!

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger

Followers